Thursday, May 03, 2007

Christian Living - Why Don't More Christians Have Better Manners?

I saw a video on GodTube.com (the new 'Christian' version of YouTube.com) the other day.

It featured what was to me an overweight, arrogant, ill mannered American guy ordering some food at a restaurant (footage for his 'Christian' video cast).

He never once used the word 'Please' or 'Thank You' (Something even my 5 year old daughter knows to do).

And, as I watched more I was reminded of the old saying: People would much rather SEE a sermon than HEAR one any day.

Am I the only one that thinks there is an epidemic of arrogance in the 'Christian' community these days?

  • So many Christians are arrogant in their judgments.

  • Pastors are arrogant in their treatment of people.

  • Leaders in positions of trust, responsibility and power are way too arrogant.

  • Believers are often arrogant in their witnessing.

And so I ask myself... is it just a cultural thing?

Could it be that people in Australia or the UK think saying Please and Thank You are still important but my American brothers and sisters don't?

But then I realize that I know many American believers that, like me, cringe at the abysmal lack of good manners in so many church circles.

Several months ago I sat at a restaurant with a bunch of believers.

The waitress that was taking our orders was pleasant, hard working and friendly - obviously doing her best to please and serve and yet not a single person besides myself used the words please or thank you even once when ordering their food.

Stop and ask yourself; Would Jesus act that way?

Before you dismiss this as just the unimportant ramblings of a grumpy Australian, please consider that perhaps the lack of manners that seems to pervade so much of the Christian community is actually a symptom of a much deeper problem.

Could it be that, in reality, people just don't know Jesus the way they claim they do?

Oh sure they might DRESS like believers, SING like believers and QUOTE the Bible like believers but no matter which way you look at it - Ill manners is NOT a fruit of the Spirit - Never has been and never will be.

I have been a believer for over 30 years now and in that time I have watched the word 'Christian' lose much of it's meaning and respect.

For so many people a word that used to mean 'Look at my life and you'll see a dramatic difference' has become a codeword for arrogance and flakiness.

It breaks my heart.

I believe it must break God's heart too.

In closing, thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to read this. I appreciate it.

And - if you happen to be a Christian in business - please remember to watch your manners!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?